I’m playing in The Scattered Life Collective a bit differently this week, because well, it’s my life and it’s scattered and luckily in this game the rules are entirely self-generated. This link will head you over to Cynthia Lee’s gathering for last week, but do be sure to check out who is playing come Friday and beyond as well. Don’t miss out on the fun just because I’m an early bird this week.
current time: 2:30 pm
out the window: brrrr… it’s frosty cold out there again today at 7 degrees. And even though the sun is shining (do I detect a slight lack of enthusiasm Mr. Sol?) we’ve hit our high for today. I have to run out and do a few errands in a bit and I assure you I will be swaddled in enough layers that should I slip on any ice I’ll bounce right back up unharmed.
on the menu: I have a lovely little rainbow of peppers on hand – orange, yellow, green and red – so I’ll be stuffing them for dinner. But what’s really on the menu for late tonight is this oatmeal peanut butter chocolate chip banana bread. I stumble upon the recipe yesterday and my mind refuses to release its grip. I’m pretty sure resistance is futile.
reading: I finished The Fig Eater by Jody Shields. I enjoyed it although I’m not altogether sure I’d recommend it. But it does paint an extraordinarily rich picture of what Vienna was like in 1910 and I think my mind will be returning to it for some time.
Balancing the somewhat dark Freudian heaviness of that one, I’ve started another murder mystery, but this time with an 11-year old female chemist/sleuth – The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley.
listening: A friend of mine, teaching at a college in New Mexico, sent me a photo of a fox she spotted running on the campus. All good wishes to the fox! And since receiving her photo, I’m totally re-obsessed with Ylvis’ What Does the Fox Say. Seriously, I need a fox costume!
watching: The Lone Ranger. Johnny Depp as Tonto wearing a crow on his head is the total reason to see this film. Enough said.
- Hanging out with my brother and SIL, celebrating her birthday and laughing at absurd jokes.
- Sampling natural perfumes. Olfactory heaven.
- On my wish list.
Around and About:
- This compilation of facts on Honey and Beeswax in Perfumery. There is a draw for various perfumes but it ends on 2/27 so if you’re interested you’ll have to hurry.
- I really like the points Kim Stevens of Picking Poppies makes about stillness in this blog post. I’m one of the most unplugged persons I know and yet I feel the pressure. As she says “if we aren’t careful we can lose our internal selves to the external expectations of society.”
- To close things out in our out and about category, here’s a cold weather selfie. This one makes me smile and think I could step right into Vienna in 1910, although I’m certain the fur wasn’t faux then. I may not be able to use this coat for my fox costume, but it would certainly work for a bear. Now that’s an idea! BTW, today is International Polar Bear Day. Our Arctic friends could certainly use our help.
And what about you? What brilliant idea are you contemplating today? What’s your favorite scent? Ever seen an urban fox? What animal would you like a costume of? Do tell – you know I love to hear.