Continuing on with my series of love letters…
is for Bibliotheca
n. 1. A collection of books; a library
2. A list of books in a catalog, especially for use by a bookseller
Dear Bibliotheca –
How I love you!
I thought about you the other day when I heard the German word for library and remembered how I love your own sound – how delicious and exotic you sound rolling off my tongue; and how it makes the concept of library even more delightful, like a secret room hidden in plain sight.
And how I do love libraries; and books, and periodicals, and librarians; reading and booksellers, and piled-high bookshelves. Words, glorious words, strung together in ways that enflame my mind, spark my heart, make my own fingers itch with the desire to respond. How many wonderful hours have I spent reading; researching in university libraries and remembering with sweet fondness flipping through old-fashioned library card catalogs when I was young? I think perhaps that where my love of multi-drawer furniture comes from.
You’ve opened so much to me and I love that we’re life-long friends. I love being the curator of my own eclectic collection of books and knowing that I can proudly call them my own private bibliotheca. I celebrate wherever books gather and cheer on those who read them. And I most especially love you Beautiful Bibliotheca!
And now dear readers here’s a little virtual bookshelf for your perusal and delight – a little collection of book-related links.
- We don’t have to maintain silence in my library, and I invite laughter and singing. And this might just be the perfect bibliotheca song – the whole song is simply a list of author’s names and a very short comment. Fun!
- One of the many delights of living in Chicago is that it’s home to the Joan Flasch Artists’ Book Collection and The Center for Book and Paper Arts at Columbia College Chicago.
- But if I wanted a more mobile place to visit, I certainly would love to stumble upon this “gypsy wagon” bookmobile.
- A collection of book spine poetry.
- The seriously swoon-worthy and uber-amazing book art of Yusuke Oono. Oh my!
- Peek into a collection of journals. Book by Its Cover – Sketchbooks
- Try though I might I’m just not much of a facebook user. But this, The Real Face Book, has me won over hands down.
Now it’s your turn…share a little book-related love. Have a book recommendation? A library tale to share? Incubating a book of your own? Keep tidy bookshelves or mingle other treasures amidst your tomes? Do tell – you know I love to hear.