Happy Friday the 13th. It’s always one of my favorite days – sort of like a pop-up holiday that invites you to pay attention and celebrate.
You won’t find me suffering from triskaidekaphobia, the fear of the number 13. I’m definitely of the ilk who finds thirteen to be on the positive side of the spectrum. It’s often considered a goddess number and connected to the lunar calendar.
Being afraid of Friday the 13th rates its own label. Two actually: friggatriskaidekaphobia and paraskevidekatriaphobia. Fabulous words, aren’t they? I’ll claim I’m friggatriskaidekaphobic- and parakevidekatriaphobic-contrary just to have them to roll around in my mouth. See, doesn’t that make you feel lucky already?
More important facts to consider about thirteen:
- It’s a happy number. Seriously. I love living in a world where there are happy numbers! If I were a number I’d most definitely choose to be a happy one.
- It’s also a prime number, not divisible by anything except one or itself. I like thinking of primes as carrying themselves fully and not subject to divisive influences. Isn’t that a wonderful way to consider being? I most definitely strive to be a prime Deborah.
- A baker’s dozen is 13. While the custom of providing an extra item was meant as insurance safeguard against penalties imposed for violating statutory weight laws, I’m pretty sure getting 13 cookies instead of 12 is a good thing. File that in the lucky column.
Friday is naturally the day devoted to Venus, and I like to think she’s particularly delighted when her day falls on the thirteenth. So in celebration it’s a wonderful time to pay extra attention to all things related to love and beauty.
Here are some things I’m celebrating:
- I’m totally immersed in a fabulous aromatherapy blending project – quite a large undertaking. And it’s one of those things that the more I work on, the more offshoots of wonderfulness turn up to be explored. I’m pretty sure Venus approves of my wandering down the scented path of the sacred perfumery of flowers and spices. I’ll certainly be sharing more about this journey in the future, so stay tuned.
- Apple roses are on the menu tonight. Definitely a Venusian delight.
- This week I was gifted with a delightful set of four hand bound books, with waxed covers with pressed flowers. Such treasures inside and out. And they’ve got me jonesing to create some new little books myself. I love it when inspiration rides the coattails of beautiful generosity.
- I love the vintage image I headed this post with. It’s from an old bridge tally. I’ve photoshopped in the one to make it 13. But I’m pretty sure Venus would approve – she’s all about lovely little costumes, and who doesn’t like a pretty parasol?
Now it’s your turn. What are you celebrating today? How are you honoring Venus? Fall in the camp of 13 is lucky, unlucky, or never-thought-about-it-who-cares? Do tell – you know I love to hear.