With the turning of the seasonal wheel, I’m apparently ready to return to blogging. I’m ready for many things – I feel like I’m on fire with a return of my creative mojo and an amplification of my curiosity. We all have our ebbs and flows; our times for quietly replenishing and then times to outflow. It’s a natural cycle and I don’t think it requires any particular explanation or apology. But so many people have been talking to me about this phenomenon, and I can’t help but think that it has more to do with our personal and collective responses in this time of Covid-19 than one might imagine.
When there is great challenge, or even a sustained drain or leakage of energy such as the pandemic has wrought, many of us think that perhaps it’s our job to contribute more. That we need to offer up something, even if it’s unclear to us what that might be. We want to nurture, just as we want to be nurtured. But really, that’s pretty much a trap isn’t it? Instead I think we all need to gently, with great care and great compassion, care for ourselves. And then extend outwards, even if it’s only measured in inches and not life-altering distances. Compassion, compassion, compassion, for self and others, is the mantra you’ll most likely hear me expressing these days.
But back to blogging. Whenever I’m gone for a while, I both feel like I have LOTS to say and like I hardly know where to begin, which can be overwhelming. So a plan is often in order, and I’ve formulated mine. I’m ready to do another abecedarium. In fact, I’m doing several of them – one on Instagram, one in a zine I’m slowly putting together, and now one here. I’m not committing to any regimented publishing schedule, but rather will post as inspired by whatever letter is up next. Sounds perfect to me – an easy invitation.
And so I’ll begin easily today, with a simple post that people often tell me they enjoy.
A is for…assemblage. Below is a list of links I’ve gathered of things I think are delightful, interesting and/or worth sharing. I invite you to take your time exploring. After all, I think we all could use more spaciousness – don’t you?
- Aromatherapy and Bees (and the interesting implication for rental bees vs native bees.
- Are we about to get a second moon? Whether it happens or not, it kind of makes me want to re-read The Three-Body Problem, the sci-fi novel about orbital mechanics.
- The Wide Awakes. You know I love the power of grassroots and the joy of helping support crowd-sourced projects on Kickstarter. Here’s one I love. And I loved learning a bit about the history of the original Wide Awakes.
- I’m fascinated by hands, and I found this article interesting.
- This art is beautiful and reminds me about perception and illusion – topics I think are especially important in these times.
Seven is a significant number for me, so I’ll stop here. But I invite you to play along as well. What A word is piquing your interest today? Is there something you’re finding yourself curious about or increasingly passionate about? Enjoy my linky posts and want more? Do tell – you know I love to hear.